Friday, April 26Your Destination for Citizen-Curated News & Views.

Community

Ellen DeGeneres Surprises Westlake Alum with New Car
Community, Entertainment

Ellen DeGeneres Surprises Westlake Alum with New Car

Ellen DeGeneres recently surprised a Westlake High School alumnus with a brand new car. Army Sergeant Shakir Aquill appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show along with his mom, Lashandria Williamson. The two went viral last month when Aquill surprised Williamson, a resource officer at Therrell High School, after having been deployed overseas since 2016. The video of their reunion touched viewers from all over the world and sparked an outpouring of love and support. Williamson had been vocal about the void she'd felt while her son was deployed. She'd relied heavily on her school community to lift her spirits while he was away. Aquill's surprise visit took place during a Therrell High pep rally, involving students and staff in the special occasion. DeGeneres praised Aquill for his sweet ...
Clothing, Toiletry Donations Needed for Dozens Displaced by Fire
Community

Clothing, Toiletry Donations Needed for Dozens Displaced by Fire

A massive fire that tore through a condominium community in the Old National area has left dozens of residents without basic necessities. A donation drive is underway this week to provide assistance. The City of South Fulton has partnered with Kingdom of God International Ministry to extend a helping hand. Donations can be dropped off at the church at 4590 Welcome All Road between now and Friday between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. by appointment. Donors should contact Chaplain Warren Henry at [email protected] or 404-735-7975 to make arrangements. The following items have been requested: clothing and shoes for women, men and children; new, unopened toiletries; unopened household cleaning supplies and laundry supplies; disposable plates, cups and utensils; ziplock bags; an...
Skyhawks Partner with Councilwoman Rowell and CBMA for MLK Day Clean-Up
Community

Skyhawks Partner with Councilwoman Rowell and CBMA for MLK Day Clean-Up

The College Park Skyhawks, the official G League affiliate of the Atlanta Hawks, took part in a community clean-up event in South Fulton in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Skyhawks players and staff partnered with Councilwoman Catherine Foster Rowell and the Cascade Business Merchants Association (CBMA) to pick up debris and litter. "They along with about 40 other volunteers braved freezing weather to give back so it would be a day on, and not a day off," said Councilwoman Rowell. “We don’t have a lot of days off,” said Skyhawks shooting guard Armoni Brooks. “To come out into the community and make a difference, make sure the city looks clean and free of litter, is important and it was great we got to do this on Dr. King’s birthday.”  Every month, Councilwoman Rowell...
Old National Residents Set 2020 Meeting Schedule
Community

Old National Residents Set 2020 Meeting Schedule

ONARU (Old National Area Residents United) has set its meeting schedule for 2020. Meetings will be held on: February 20, April 16, June 18, August 20, October 15 and December 17. All meetings take place from 6:30 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. at the Heritage Park Club House, 2397 Creel Road. During the February meeting, the guest speaker will be Tyrone Harps. The topic of discussion will be the 2020 Census. ONARU is a community association committed to improving the health of the community by focusing on government, education, economic development and the quality of life for all citizens on or around the Old National corridor. The meetings are open to the public. All residents and stakeholders are invited to attend. "Everyone plays a vital part in uplifting our communities, homeow...
Exhibit of African-American Inventors Returns to Welcome All Park
Community, Events

Exhibit of African-American Inventors Returns to Welcome All Park

Black History Month in South Fulton will kick off with an exhibit of African-American inventors on Feb. 1 at Welcome All Park, 4255 Will Lee Road. Created by Sheliah Gray, the traveling exhibit displays 26 inventions in alphabetical order from A to Z. The exhibit has been displayed in schools, churches, libraries and other venues since 2013. “The exhibit exposes visitors to various inventions by African Americans and cultivates conversations about how these inventions impact our society today,” said Tony Phillips, director of the City of South Fulton's Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs. “It generates a desire for some to become entrepreneurs and it promotes new interest and an increased awareness of inventions by African Americans.” In past years at Welcome A...
Lineup Set for South Fulton MLK Day Parade
Community

Lineup Set for South Fulton MLK Day Parade

The City of South Fulton will hold its inaugural MLK Day parade on Jan. 20 at 1 p.m. Mayor Bill Edwards and MC Lightfoot will serve as the grand marshals. The parade will travel along part of Old National Hwy., starting at the Walmart parking lot, 6149 Old National Hwy., and ending at the Grown Folks Cafe parking lot, 5495 Old National Hwy. Dozens of churches, organizations, community groups and elected officials have signed up to participate. Floats and live entertainment are part of the lineup. City of South Fulton officials will march in the parade along with the city's police and fire departments. County and state representatives will also join including Commissioners Marvin Arrington and Joe Carn, and State Representatives Roger Bruce, Debra Bazemore and William Boddie. ...
Atlanta Track Club 12K Planned for Saturday in South Fulton
Community, Events

Atlanta Track Club 12K Planned for Saturday in South Fulton

The Jerome Scales Southside 12K presented by Delta® Air Lines is planned for Saturday, Jan. 11 in South Fulton. The race is coordinated in partnership with the Atlanta Track Club and the South Fulton Running Partners, and is the second stop on the 2020 Grand Prix Series presented by Piedmont Healthcare. Event organizers are expecting 1,250 attendees, and the race will start and finish at Wolf Creek Amphitheater. Registration is still open. New this year, participants will have the option to run the 12K distance or a 4.3 mile fun run. 12K finishers are eligible for overall, age grade and age group awards. Fun run finishers are eligible for Grand Prix participation points only. Jerome Scales was a longtime member of Atlanta Track Club who served on its Board of Directors for seven ye...
South Fulton to Hold Inaugural MLK Parade, Census Rally
Community

South Fulton to Hold Inaugural MLK Parade, Census Rally

The City of South Fulton will celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with an inaugural parade on Jan. 20, followed by a rally to encourage participation in the 2020 Census. The parade will travel along part of Old National Highway, starting at the Walmart parking lot, 6149 Old National Hwy., and ending at the Grown Folks Cafe parking lot, 5495 Old National Hwy., which will be the rally site. “Dr. King’s vision reached across many lines, including ensuring access to economic prosperity and fair representation in government for all people,” said Mayor William “Bill” Edwards. “As we honor him, it’s only fitting that we encourage people to become engaged in the census process and be counted.” Mayor Edwards will serve as the MLK parade’s grand marshal, along wi...
Home for the Holidays: South Fulton Realtors Share Their Best Tips
Business, Community

Home for the Holidays: South Fulton Realtors Share Their Best Tips

Is a new home on your Christmas wish list? Whether you're thinking of buying or selling, unwrap these tips from South Fulton realtors on making the most of the market during the holiday season and all year long. C21 Connect Realty's April Rogerson, known to many in the area as The Contract Slayer, says homes often look their best during the holidays. Creating an inviting environment where buyers can see themselves celebrating can help to close the deal. "Deck the halls, but don’t go overboard," she says. "Sellers should be careful not to overdo it on the decor. Adornments shouldn't be too large and there shouldn't be too many." Even after the Christmas festivities have ended, Rogerson advises opting for general winter decorations.  "Adding elements  of warmth is a...
Editorial: The South Fulton Effect
Community, Editorials

Editorial: The South Fulton Effect

Editorial by Kendall HenryOften, the news shows our beloved City of South Fulton in a negative light. They don’t show the positive events, the people produced, and the impacts made every day in South Fulton. The media does not show The South Fulton Effect. I was raised in the City of South Fulton. I now attend the University of Georgia as a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major and Public Health minor. I am heavily involved on campus. I have made it my mission to apply my upbringing to my current life.  I attended Randolph Elementary School. As a dolphin, I was introduced to Girl Scouts. I started off as a Brownie in 2009 as part of the Randolph Girl Scouts and completed my GS journey in May 2019 with earning the prestigious Gold Award. I devoted a part of my life to Girl Scouts an...

Pin It on Pinterest