A new Children’s Book Festival is coming to the metro area thanks to the Fulton County Library System, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library Foundation and presenting sponsor PNC Bank.
The festival will take place May 14 at the newly renovated Central Library, One Margaret Mitchell Square, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event is aimed at engaging young readers, from infants to teens, in all of the resources the library has to offer.
“The need for live, in-person and engaging events for youth that are focused on literacy has never been greater,” said Fulton County Library System’s Executive Director Gayle H. Holloman.
“After nearly two years of remote learning, increased screen time and virtual programs for children of all ages, we’re ready to bring our young people together for this special day.”
Activities scheduled for the day, include:
- Author talk and book reading by nationally acclaimed author Carmen Agra Deedy, author of Martina: the Beautiful Cockroach a Cuban Folktale, Rita and Ralph’s Rotten Day, 14 Cows for America and more.
- Author talk, book reading and signing by former NFL player Malcom Mitchell, author of The Magician’s Hat and My Favorite Book in the Whole Wide World
- YA (Young Adult) Author Panel with Kimberly Jones, Gilly Segal and more
- Illustrator Gregory Christie
- Mayor’s Summer Reading Club Program activities
- Performances from the Atlanta Opera, Alliance Theater and Atlanta Symphony
- Puppet workshop with the Center for Puppetry Arts
Photo: Former NFL player and children’s book author Malcolm Mitchell will read and sign copies of his books at the upcoming Children’s Book Festival on May 14. (Credit: Share the Magic Foundation)
Have news to share with South Fulton residents? Email us at [email protected]. Plus follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @cosfobserver.